Tuesday, July 3, 2012

It's Silly to Pay Full Price at.... Hobby Lobby.

For the first day of my "It's Silly" series, I am going to tell you why it is silly to pay full price at Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby is one of my favorite stores.  I love going in there!  They have everything from furniture, to home accents, to any kind of craft supplies imaginable. The store has a simple layout that is fairly similar from store-to-store, it's clean and smells nice, and the selection is amazing. An extra bonus for me is that they are a Christian company, which shows in the fact that a) they are closed on Sunday so that their employees have time to worship or just spend time with their families, and b) they play instrumental hymns and Christian music over the intercom.  I can't go in there without humming along to whatever I hear.

Being a fan of saving money gives me even more of a reason to love Hobby Lobby.  They do a great job of rotating their sales schedule.  I have looked, and have yet to find an actual schedule, but it seems about every 3rd week or so I go in there and scrapbooking supplies are on sale.  Last week was a bonus because it was scrapbooking paper, stickers, and stamping supplies.  This week scrapbook albums and page kits are on sale. The rest of the store seems to rotate as well, and it would surprise me to see any one department go a month without being featured in the weekly ad.

If you can plan your project out a few weeks in advance, and don't have a time limit, you can easily buy everything you need at Hobby Lobby on sale.  For example, I knew that I was going to be making save-the-date cards for my sister's upcoming wedding.  I took advantage of the scrapbooking sale last week to get my supplies together. Of course, sometimes you need to do something last minute, but that doesn't mean you are stuck paying full price!  If you visit Hobby Lobby's website, they almost always have a 40% off coupon for any one regularly priced item.  Occasionally the coupon is only 25% off, and occasionally they have item-specific coupons, but it never hurts to look!  The best part is you can print a coupon, but if you forget, you can pull up the website coupon on your smart phone and the cashier will honor it. I also did some research - furniture is ALWAYS marked 30% off at Hobby Lobby, and I was always bummed that I couldn't use a coupon because it was marked down. Not so!  If your item is on sale for 30% off, you can forfeit the 30% discount and use the 40% coupon.

The only way they could make Hobby Lobby better, in my opinion, is to give a percentage off your entire purchase type coupon every now and then, one that you can use on sale and clearance items.  Still, there is never a reason to pay full price on your entire purchase at Hobby Lobby!  I am making my sister's save-the-date cards for about 50 cents per card, as opposed to the 80 cents per card it would have cost had I paid full price for all of the supplies.  When you have a big project, little savings add up!

Do you have a Hobby Lobby near you? What has been your best find? 

P.S. For the longest time this was not an option, but you can now shop HL online!  Click here to go to their online store!